Wednesday, February 14, 2007

starting a new afghan ?

I am contemplating knitting the 'Lizard Ridge' afghan in the previous Knitty issue.

I have a bit of Kureyon leftover from other projects, namely 3 skeins of shade 51 (upper right ), 4 skeins of shade 149 (lower right), and 1 skein of shade 150 (upper left). And I received 2 skeins of shade 184 in the secret pal 9 swap (lower left).
The afghan is made up of 24 squares, all knitted in a different color of Kureyon; or in one shade of this multicolor yarn. When I first saw the afghan, I immediately fell in love with it, but at the same time made a note to myself that it would be way too expensive. But these last 2 balls in the swap really made me swoon all over again. I want to knit Lizard Ridge !
On the other hand, I made this firm resolution to knit from stash during the first 6 months of 2007. I have 9 balls of Noro, so I would really need to buy extra's.
My question : has anybody knit this afghan with several blocks in the same color ? I googled and googled, but it looks like everybody used a lot of different colors. I only found one that used the same color throughout the whole afghan. Do you think it is possible to use what I have, and still come out with an attractive afghan ? I could start it, and buy extra Kureyon in the second part of the year (my birthday is in August).
Or, another possibility, mabye some of you have oddballs of Kureyon lying around, and want to swap with me (for Kureyon in one of the shades that I have, or something else atractive from my stash) ?

I started a block yesterday. On the right shade 184, on the left shade 51.It looks like one block doesn't take a whole ball. The pattern uses 21 balls for 24 blocks - does this mean you use leftovers from every ball to knit the last squares ?
Thanks for any input.

The jawbreaker cardigan is on hold - I have to assemble the pieces before I can knit the collar. Assembly is reserved for the weekend (but this weekend I have to work).
And the Kaffe Fassett quilt is on hold also. I need help to get me going, but the hobbyclub was canceled due to the weather. My LYS-owner told me about an informal quilt group she is having once a month. I went, and it was very nice. I have finished designing, and need to start sewing. Not something I am looking forward too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have some Kureyon that I could spare. I will mail you the colornumber as soon as I get home.