Sunday, February 21, 2010

een dagje amsterdam - a day in Amsterdam



Gisteren heb ik 'een dagje Amsterdam' gedaan. Met een B-dagtrip van de Belgische spoorwegen heb ik in de voormiddag de toerist uitgehangen, inclusief boottocht op de grachten.
Yesterday I went to Amsterdam. The Belgian rail has a daytrip offer, a boattrip on the canals included. I enjoyed it, warm and cozy and a good overview of the city.




Maar eigenlijk ging ik voor een brei-evenement. Nancy Marchant presenteerde haar boek over de patentsteek, bij ons vooral bekend als 'sjaalsteek', en in het engels 'brioche stitch'.
Actually, I went there for a book launch. Nancy Marchant presented her book on 'brioche stitch'.



Je kon al de kleinere projecten uit het boek ter plekke bewonderen en aanpassen. Ik vind vooral de 'Delfts blauw'-muts intriguerend. Ik heb vroeger wel al eens patentsteek gebreid in een simpele sjaal, maar nog nooit 2 kleuren en met minderingen. Een muts lijkt wel een ideaal project om deze technieken eens uit te proberen.
She brought all the smaller finished objects from the book. I really like the 'Delfts blauw' hat (all the projects have Dutch names, because she lives in Amsterdam). That hat will probably be the first project I will try out. I am new at knitting brioche, and have never tried 2-color brioche, or decreasing in brioche stitch.


Het boek is opgevat als een heel grondige lessenreeks, en begint dan ook met een uitgebreide fotoreeks over de techniek. Alles wordt behandeld met foto's die tonen wat je juist moet doen - bvb hier hoe je fouten moet herstellen. Een uitgebreide boekbespreking (in het Engels) vind je bij knitters review, en op grumperina's blog.
The book starts with a very thorough fotochapter on techniques, for instance here on fixing mistakes. You can read a review here and on Grumperina's blog.


De 'Dutch knitters', Carla en Hilly hadden een bijzonder boeket bij voor Nancy. Zie je de gebreide bloemen? Meer en duidelijker foto's op Carla's blog...
The Dutch knitters, Carla and Hilly brought a very special bouqet of flowers for Nancy. Can you spot which flowers are knitted? (more and clearer pictures on Carla's blog...)



Na nog een paar 'projecten-in-ontwikkeling' bewonderd te hebben, moest ik in Amsterdam toch nog even langslopen bij de Afstap, het wolwinkeltje van Amsterdam.
After some more WIP-fondling, I dropped by at 'de afstap', Amsterdams local yarn store.


En daar kon ik niet weerstaan aan 2 sokkenboekjes, 1 over van de teen omhoog breien, en 1 met spectaculaire Noorse kniekousen.
And of course I could not resist. I bought 2 sockbooks. One about toe-up socks (in Dutch); and one with some spectacular Norwegian knee stockings.


En bij mijn laatste aankoop in Amsterdam hoop ik geen kniekousen nodig te hebben. Nu mag de lente beginnen.
And my last purchase in Amsterdam : a pair of shoes. I am so ready for spring now...


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a very nice day, Dominique (did I spell it right this time?)

Nancy

Prunila said...

ummm ... the shoes are really funny Dominique! now you will need a pair of ... yellow skirt or trousers (narcisus?). A really nice post, I like Amsterdam very much; Myself I have been out of blogs for a while doing other activities but wool atracts me again :-D
hugs from Spain!

CarlaM said...

We had such a good time at Nancy's presentation! On Life 'n Knitting you can see how Nancy signs Dominique's book. Good to hear you liked your visit to the Afstap. And your shoes,..... they are just gorgeous and a wonderful colour!

CarlaM

Nutsue said...

What a wonderful Sunday! I've been in Amsterdam three times and the lastest one last spring, but I would come back there once an again. The second time I was there I bought my first skeins of rowan yarn and the latest I had to say no to a wonderful pair of boots! There are so many nice shops...

mija said...

Hey fijn!! Ik heb nu ook Hanne Falkenberg ontdekt via jou blog. Ik brei al van mijn 7 Jaar en daar waren toen al sokken bij, maar verder gewone dingen. Nu ben ik in een nieuwe wereld terecht gekomen van uitdagingen. Vandaag mijn eerste pakketje besteld bij Ribbels.nl. Ik ben eens benieuwd.
groetjes

dominiqueknitting said...

@ mija - en welke Falkenberg heb je gekocht? Of was het iets anders bij Ribbels?

Unknown said...

Oh jealous I am! I am trying to order the book, but it is sold out. She grew up in our city and comes back to visit each summer. I hope to catch up with her this year.