Saturday, January 06, 2007

Looking back on my 2006 knitting ...

I can state that this was a good year. One of my New Years resolutions at the start of 2006 was definitely to use up more yarn then to acquire new yarn.
I used up :
- 104 balls of yarn . Making 2 blankets really helped here. They were completely knitted/crocheted from stash.

I bought or received as a gift/swap :
- 66 balls of yarn.
I bought an additional 20 balls of yarn that went out as presents immediately (so technically I didn't add these to my stash).
All in all, the balance is positive. I knitted up 38 balls more then I added to the stash. In 2005 I only slightly knitted up more then I bought (If I remember correctly it was something like : 130 knitted/115 bought).

My resolution for 2007 will be to knit from stash even more. I don't know if I can keep to a strict yarn diet (like Wendy), but I really want to knit more from stash. I have yarn for at least another 20 pairs of socks, numerous bags, scarves, hats, shawls.... enough to keep knitting for a long time. I also have 4 sweater kits (2 Vivian Hoxbro, 1 Hanne Falkenberg, 1 Kureyon). Maybe I can refine my resolution to use the oldest yarns first...
The jawbreaker cardigan I am working on now is a good example. Some of this yarn was in my stash for ages ...

In 2006 I knitted a grand total of 28 items.
(When looking back on the items I have knitted, I see that I knitted 10 items with yarn that I have acquired in 2006. I guess new yarn always is more appealing...
I won't tell you how much I have spent on yarn. Let's just say that it equals buying 2 CD' a month.
I bought yarn in the 2 local yarn stores, but I bought even more yarn abroad (I tend to bring yarn as a souvenir). A resolution could also be to buy more yarn in my local stores (they need to survive too). For instance, I bought sock yarn in Berlin in February, but I can get the same yarn in my local shop. So what's the point ? The yarn I bought in Stockholm on the other hand, is so unique that I could not get it here locally.

My finished objects :
For Dear Son :
- 2 scarves (one in a cashmere/wool blend, one in a camel/wool blend, both not satisfactory to him - not the right color, lenght, width, weight... I guess he just doesn't like scarves)
- 3 pair of socks
For Dear Daughter :
- 1 pair of socks (she doesn't go trough her socks as fast as my son)
For the home :
- 1 crocheted afghan, 1 log-cabin knitted afghan.
For me :
- 2 hats
- 1 pair of socks
- 1 pair of mittens
- 2 lace shawls
- 1 lace stole
- 1 scarf
- 1 Hanne Falkenberg cardigan
For other recipients (gifts):
- 1 pair of armwarmers
- 1 pair of mittens
- 2 purses
- 1 baby hat
- 1 pair of baby pants (technically not an FO, I still need to sew in some elastic)
Dear Husband is missing from this list, he preferrs not to receive a knitted item from me.

Knitting workshops :

- knitting with color - Brandon Mably workshop at Rowan Mills, Holmfirth, UK


- Alice Starmore workshop - 1day workshop in Nieuwpoort (Holland)


- Debbie Stoller and Nancy Merchant lectures in Rotterdam (Holland)

Knitting books :
I bought one book in Swedish on twined knitting. I like books that discuss specific techniques. I don't need another pattern book really. That's where knitting magazines are for. I have a subscription to Interweave knits, and occassionaly I buy Vogue knitting (or others), in the international magazine store in my home town.

Conclusion :
2006 was a good knitting year. Let's hope for the same in 2007. I'll keep you posted on this blog. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment !

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.....and I thought I was addicted to yarn. I am a novice compared to you. I need to buy more!

Anonymous said...

The blankets are absolutely gorgeous especially the first one!

LOL, I have thesame trouble with "new" yarn ... last in, first knitted!

Anonymous said...

Your knitting accomplishments for 2006 are impressive! thank you for a great blog. I especially appreciate all the info you have shared here from the workshops you have attended. Happy new year,

Stevie Nixed said...

I wish I had some more local yarn shops (though the wallet would mind) as I can never find the right yarn. :-( Where oh where can I find a shop that has a more extensive collection of Katia and Lana Grossa yarn? Boo! That said, maybe it's for the best: now I don't have that much yarn. I have made the resolution I will not buy yarn on a *whim* as I'm not experienced enough to adapt a pattern (yet). :-)