Sunday, December 14, 2008

icarus



After the adventure in Zaragoza, I decided to knit from stash in the next 6 months. This project started with one skein of white mohair, from a small Dutch goatfarm. (there are 2 skeins in the picture, but one was a gift for a knitter-friend)
Motto na het avontuur in Zaragoza : brei uit je voorraadkast. Het begon met één strengetje witte mohairwol.(op de foto zie je 2 strengen, 1 heb ik cadeau gedaan)
Het garen kwam van een kleine boerderij in Nederland, die hun eigen geiten kweken. De onverwerkte wol gaat naar Denemarken, en wordt daar gesponnen. Aangeschaft op de stitch 'n bitch dag in Rotterdam, november 2007.


I didn't feel like knitting another white shawl, so I dyed the yarn with cherry kool-aid. I choose to knit a pattern from my 'must knit'-list, 'icarus'. It was published in Interweave knits, summer 2006, also available in the book 'best of interweave knits'.
Ik had niet zo'n zin in wit, dus verfde ik het garen met limonadepoeder, smaak : kersen; kleur : iets te rood naar mijn zin. Ik selecteerde een patroon, iets wat al heel lang in mijn 'te breien'-lijstje stond :
'Icarus', gepubliceerd in 'interweave knits'-tijdschrift, zomer 2006 (ondertussen ook opgenomen in het boek 'best of interweave knits').



The yarn had no label, so I didn't know how much I had. You can adjust the shawl by knitting less pattern repeats of the central part, before you start the border. Of course, after I had knit 5 pattern repeats, and halfway the border, I ran out of yarn. I tried to combine it with a different mohair from stash, but that didn't work. So I undid a week's worth of knitting, and started over.
Het garen heeft geen label, dus wist ik niet of ik genoeg zou hebben, maar het patroon is aanpasbaar. Het centrale gedeelte kan korter of langer, waarna je de boord breit. Ik gokte op 5 patroonherhalingen, en natuurlijk wat moest gebeuren, gebeurde : halverwege de boord was het garen op. Ik had nog wat andere mohair in de kast : die dan maar geverfd, maar nee, beide kwaliteiten (en kleuren rood) vechten met elkaar. Dus, 1 week breien uithalen en opnieuw beginnen.


I end up with a small shoulder scarf, and it's to red for me. Nothing that can't be helped by a bit of blocking and overdyeing (now with grape kool-aid).
Resultaat : een klein schoudersjaaltje, en het is nog te rood naar mijn zin. Nog maar eens oververven (nu met 'druif'), en de sjaal nat uitspelden, wat zorgt dat hij toch iets groter wordt.


Result : only a small ball of yarn left-over, and a very wearable shawl. Icarus is ready to spread it's wings...
Ik heb nog ongeveer een pingpongballetje garen over : Icarus is klaar om de vleugels uit te spreiden...

1 comment:

Chrisknits said...

I finished one in Sept and hated every moment! Well, until I got to the lace part. Part of the problem was the silk yarn! Never again. Yours is lovely.