Tuesday, December 25, 2007

grolsche wanten gestart - groenlo mittens started



Sometimes you are 'possesed' by a project, and you want to start it right away. That's why I tried out the Groenlo mittens, without having the right yarn in stash. I used the
Pingouin Grège (alpaca/wool/silk) in a grey/white color, 2 strands of Rowan Donegal tweed for the red, and 2 different yarns for the blue. For the cuff I used some Finnish yarn I bought this summer. I bought 2 sampler skeins from the boot at the market, wish I bought more now, because it is a really nice yarn (Finnsheep). The other blue on the actual mitten is some Rowan lightweight DK.

Soms ben je zo bezeten door een project, dat je het direct wil starten. Ik ben dan ook met de Grolsche wanten begonnen, zonder het juiste garen in mijn voorraadkast te hebben. Gebruikte garens :
- grijswit Pingouin 'Grège' - alpaca/wol/zijde-mengeling
- rood - dubbele draad Rowan Donegal tweed
- blauw - op de manchet Finse wol die ik deze zomer in Helsinki kocht. Ik kocht 3 mini-strengetjes, vind het nu jammer dat ik niet meer kocht, want dit is een heel aangename natuurlijke wol (Finnsheep)
- blauw op de eigenlijke want is Rowan lightweight DK


Not sure about the colors. The mitten fits very snuggly, I like a bit of room in my mittens to move. And not sure about the big star either. The patern has an option to use smaller stars. Conclusion : I'll have to frog this, and reconsider my options. I like the feel of the Pingouin 'Grège', maybe find other yarns that work with it? And add a few stitches for a roomier fit ? And use the other stars ? Decisions, decisions...

Ik ben niet helemaal gelukkig met de kleuren. De want past nauwsluitend aan, ik vind een iets ruimere want prettiger. En ik twijfel een beetje over de grote ster op de rug van de hand. In het patroon zijn er nog een paar kleinere sterren als optie. Ik zal dit werkje dus maar uithalen, en nog es goed nadenken over hoe ik nu verder wil. Ik vind de alpaca/zijde heel prettig om mee te werken, misschien andere garens hierbij gebruiken ? En een paar extra steken opzetten voor een ruimere pasvorm ? En andere sterpatroontjes ?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's pretty, but the star does seem too big for your size hand.

Anonymous said...

The Finnish wool is outsanding . I got some recently for my birthday . You can buy it on line . Send a mail to Leena telling her what you want ,and she sends you a Paypal bill and a few days later the wool is in your mail box .I have some mittens made from a kit of hers and they are great too .
I love the colors of your mitten to be
!!!
Danièle

Line said...

Soms wil men te veel en te vlug en dan moet men uithalen. Uithalen is inderdaad het beste als je niet helemaal tervreden bent. Veel succes met je nieuw poging. Ik kijk er reeds naar uit.