Saturday, July 28, 2007

Knitting cruise

As I told on a previous post, I will be taking a knitting cruise this summer, visiting the Scandinavian capitals. Iron man told me he would not have time to take a holiday with me, so I decided to go on my own, and do something that interests me. It was not the cruise thing that attracted me, but now I am getting curious to see how it works out. The dressing up part is not my kind of fun, but of course it will be great people watching.

Ik heb me eens goed laten gaan, en heb me ingeschreven voor een 'brei-cruise' deze zomer. Jan had zijn triathlonproject, en niet echt tijd om met mij op vakantie te gaan (ondertussen zijn we natuurlijk wel nr Frankrijk en Duitsland gegaan, maar dat was eerst niet voorzien, hij had andere evenementen op zijn lijstje, in Belgiƫ). Het concept 'cruise' spreekt me niet direct aan, zeker niet het opdirken. Aan de andere kant is het misschien wel plezant om het allemaal aan te zien.

I mailed on several lists and my blog if anybody wanted to meet up. Hanna in Helsinki offered to show me around. I am really looking forward to that. It looks like we will be able to do some serious yarn shopping. Where-ever I travel, I like to buy some local yarn. Hanna sent me several links to Finnish yarn companies. I really like these mittens by 'Pirkanmaa' yarn company '(hope I spelled that right). *edited : I seem not be able to link to the right page. Look under 'english' and 'knitting kits' and you will find some beautifull mittens ! And I also like it when people show me their favorite spots in their home town.

Hanna in Helsinki zal me rondleiden. Ze heeft me al een hele lijst van wolwinkels gestuurd, en ook URL's van wol-firma's. Ik probeer altijd iets lokaal te kopen, iets echt authentiek. Vooral de Finse wanten spreken me heel erg aan, ik hoop zo een pakket te vinden. En ik vind het ook altijd leuk als mensen me hun favoriete plekje in hun stad tonen. Hieronder mijn reisschema, dat hoef ik wel niet te vertalen.

My itenerary will be as follows :
august 2d - Kopenhagen
at sea
august 4th - Tallinn
august 5-6 - St-Petersburg
august 7 - Helsinki
august 8 - Stockholm
at sea
august 10 - Aarhus
august 11 - Oslo
august 12 - Kopenhagen
So if there are other knitters who want to meet up, leave a comment before august 2d! I have been to Stockholm, Kopenhagen and Aarhus before, and know that there are great yarn opportunities !

In the meantime - Ondertussen

I finished the travelling companion socks. Yarn is merino sock yarn by nightshade rose, and it was a gift from my secretpal 9.

Een paar sokken gebreid, garen was een kadootje van geheim vriendje 9.


It is a very fine sock yarn (compared to my regular Annell sock yarn). Usually I knit a sock on 60 stitches, this time I needed 80 stitches. That's why it took some time before these socks got finished. That, and the Mystery Stole 3 of course !

Een heel fijn garen, vergeleken met mijn gewone sokkenwol. Deze keer moest ik een sok over 80 steken breien, ipv de gewone 60 steken. Daarom duurde het ook wat langer voor deze sok af was. Dat, en de mysterie stola 3 natuurlijk !


3 comments:

Deb said...

Oh lovely work on those socks!!!! Well done! (PS-our summer has only come in "fits and starts"- not a reliably warm summer at all!)

Anonymous said...

I'm so envious of your cruise, and sorry that I can't see you.... but my little kittens are keeping me really busy and destroying my house ;)

Anonymous said...

Your cruise looks wonderful! We'll be visiting many of the same cities on our upcoming trip. I'm looking forward to seeing your report on your blog. I hope you had a great cruise.