Friday, May 18, 2007

knitters treat exchange




Good news ! My knitters treat package arrived, and I am absolutely loving everything. Lots of thought went into assembling this package. Wendee in Seatle has really spoiled me.

In it was :
- a skein of alpaca-silk blend, together with a pattern to knit a lavender sachet and of course, some lavender.
- a skein of Mountain colors Goat in the 'ruby river' colorway (will make a nice hat !)
- stitch markers, made by Wendee
- chocolates in a little box, and a bar of dark chocolate (with the strange but tasty combination of 'french breadcrumbs'
- a recipy for a yoghurt cake with citrus glazing (went out to do the groceries today, and made sure to put everything I need on my shopping list)
Not in the picture - a bottle of soap liquid, and a magazine (blueprint - Martha Stewart group)

Wendee carefully attached little notes on everything, with a word about the object and why she had selected that one.

I must say that this package has opened my eyes on US retail. I always imagine the US as big chain stores, not much in the way of individual, personal retail shops (can't express this exactly, I hope you know what I mean).
Of course, I have only been once to the US, and that was in Kentucky. We used to do home exchange for holidays, and we went were they wanted us (Belgium is not really big on the list of desirable holiday destinations). In Lexington, KY, it was just too hot to go outside much. We visited the mall, and drove around a bit. The people were very nice, but as I didn't like the climate, it was not a great holiday. On top of that, my DH broke his wrist. I want to visit the states again one time, but DH is not much in favor of it. And then, I would like to visit more northern states. Anyhow, it won't be the next years, because our kids will start their universitary studies, and that will cut in the budget.

The chocolate was divine (emphasis on was). DD and I shared it together. Now we live in a country with very good chocolate, and this one could compare with Belgian chocolate. Dark and lots of flavor, without being overly sweet.

This was really a treat exchange ! thanks again Wendee

And I am glad to say that the package I sent to Sarah, was equally received enthousiastically. It's a nice feeling to spoil somebody, and to be spoiled. That's what these exchanges are all about for me. I know it doesn't always end up this good, and I feel double lucky to have such nice exchange partners