Here are my answers to the secret pal 9 questionnaire :
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like everyhting - really. I think there is a place for every yarn. A good acrylic can produce a nice baby garment. But of course, I love knitting with the 'better' yarns. I just know that not everybody appreciates real wool. Me, I looove real wool. There is one yarn that I sadly am allergic to, and that is angora.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have old plastic tubes that were designed to store needles. They are but ugly, but serve their purpose. My circular needles are in a carboard box, that I covered with KF fabric. Nice box, if I do say so. It also has a shelf for smaller things (needles, beads, stitch markers ...)
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned as a child and hated it then. Picked it back up when my children were born. Untill I discovered the internet and the knitlist, I was a beginner. I think I will qualify as intermediate now. To become advanced, you would need to design your own stuff. I almost always start from an existing pattern.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I like fresh, citrus scents. Nothing to flowery or sweet and heavy.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love chocolate, but living in a country that has a rich tradition makes me a bit sceptical to foreign brands.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
a little bit of crochet, dyeing, occassionaly cross-stitch, patchwork, reading. I don't want to take up spinning, I am fearing a new stash might evovlve from that !
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I don't have a real preference, but nothing to heavy.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
If I use it for decoration it can be pretty wild. But for clothing I like more subdued colors. So I will like a burgundy, but not a bright red, a mustard, but not a true yellow, olive but not forest green.... I love all browns and greys ! My blog will maybe give you the wrong idea, because I have posted several Kaffe Fassett sweaters there. I have discovered that I love to knit with color, but I don't wear those garments. That's why I have knitted/crocheted blankets recently. Now I have to convince my children to use those !
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband and 2 teenagers (or young adults) - my DH and DD are allergic to pets.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I don't wear a hat often, only when it's very, very cold. I love mittens, and have one poncho, and one poncho/shawl thingie.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
13. What are you knitting right now?
I am finishing up a log-cabin afghan. After all this heavy cotton, I am aching to knit with wool again. I started a Hanne Falkenberg sweater last year, and will take that up again. I also have a pair of socks on the needles.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
that depends - surprise me
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Again, there is a place for everything. I have learned to knit with a needle in my armpit, so if it's possible I preferr long straight needles. But some projects need to be knit on a circular needle. And I knit all my socks on very short bamboo dpn's, because socks are my travel project.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don't think I have one lying around that is older then 3 years, and that one will probably be frogged.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
19. Is there anything that you collect?
'only' yarn and knitting books
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I am always interested in new stuff ! I am subscribed to Interweave Knits.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I have a Danish kit for a scarf in double knitting, and I haven't mastered that one yet.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I knit a lot of socks. I wear an European size 39
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)